Skip to main content

Solitary Knight

OK, so I was perusing Rob's blog a little and found an excellent essay on, of all things, Batman Begins - along with a few other movies he threw in to illustrate his point. If you want to read it... Go Here!!

One of his comments that caught my attention was this one - "A hero’s journey is a solitary one into uncharted territory."

It is somewhat daunting. I am prepared, sort of, for the loneliness that I feel approaching me...that has already seized me. My friend was a large part of my day...well, ok, afternoon. And we did a lot of stuff together, and not just socially. I was her helper for the kids prayer meeting, and I did my best to help her in whatever she was doing. Well, now she's not doing anything and has in so many words told me to bug off. So - I've bugged off -----and now face hours of being alone. I know, I know....it's one of the "great" things about being single....and I am soooo tired of hearing that.....like any of the married people that I know who have said that to me would give up their spouses and kids for very long in trade of my hours of alone time. But anyway.

There are some things that must be done alone. The entire "wilderness" experience is usually alone [not counting the millions of Jews in the Exodus!!!] Jesus spent hours alone with His Father, it was the source of His strength. And I just happened across the story of when Jesus fed the 5000 - guess where it took place??? In the wilderness. And Mark 1:35 - "Now in the morning, having risen a long while before daylight, He went out and departed to a solitary place; and there He prayed."

And yet - I feel so scared. Not of spending time alone with God - - - but of trying and not finding Him there. I have sat with my Bible for countless hours over these past few months and haven't really "felt" anything...which I know sets me up for countless 'It's not about what you feel" comments. yeah yeah. And what if I get something wrong? I can't go to pastor with every little question I come up with. Used to, but the truth is, he doesn't have time for me like he used to.

And yet - God sets the solitary in families [Psalm 68:6]. And I've just had mine taken away from me....not my 'biological' one so don't get your shorts in a wad Cliff. I mean, I haven't just lost my friend, but her entire family which she said I was a part of. Even the dog! I haven't got a dog anymore. Good Lord, listen to me and how selfish I am!

And yet - It is not good for man to be alone. [Genesis 2:18]

you're not laughing at me, are you Rob? Or chuckling, I mean.


Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Comments

utenzi said…
Off topic here, Ciera. Have you ever gone to the following site?

Noaz

I think you might find it interesting. The fellow is a former pastor of a congregation out west.
Ciera said…
Utenzi - I have now :)
Jean-Luc Picard said…
All of our journeys are through uncharted territories.

Popular posts from this blog

Weekenders!!!

It's that time again. For Michele's weekend Meet-n-Greet. Some frown, but others gleefully play. Here's a question for all who visit here, whether on your own or from Michele's: Last night during a prayer meeting, I had a memory flash through my mind. More like the shadow of the memory. I was five years old or younger and I was begging my father for a peanut butter cake. I really wanted one, and even though I was interupting the adult conversation and probably being a regular brat...my Dad quit what he was doing to search for a recipe for a peanut butter cake...uhm, I don't think he ever found one so he made me a chocolate one with peanut butter frosting. This is probably the best memory I have of my father. So - what is your favorite childhood memory?????

A Situation

Ok. I need to think out loud here for a bit while I wait on email. I have a situation going on that could become tough. A bit of background: About 2 years ago, a single man started coming to my church and showed an interest in me. It lasted about a month and a half, with him giving me mixed signals all the time...since I have been praying for a husband for a while now, at the time, it seemed like my prayers were being answered despite the confusion. It all came down one night about midnight in his parking lot and I haven't talked to him since. He only stayed around for another 7-8 months, and those were very hard months. He lied to me and mislead me, often. Like it was second nature for him. It was made even more traumatic by a discovery of mine on a website shortly after he left the area. In September 2005, I had a blind date that was far from fruitful. My singleness and desire to be married is known to all in church, and so... To the present: Yes, another single man has walked in...

Shock and Awe

It is a strange thing. How someone can say, "I'm sorry, please forgive me" and still manage to correct you all at once...it is truly amazing to me. I was shocked that this person actually admitted to being wrong, and at the same time, I was ashamed for wanting it. But it got me to thinking. About Repentance and Forgiveness...how once they have happened...there is healing and restoration. I haven't completely researched it yet, but the verses I've peaked at in James make me think I'm not far off. I wonder, just as one person sinning can spoil others...can one person repenting turn others to repentance? Hmm.... Of course, as in any relationship situation...it helps to know the whole story. Why do we do that, I wonder? Close up and not share what is going on, I mean. I know that sometimes, there are things that hurt too deep to share right away. It is frustrating. Thanksgiving looks to be a dismal day so far. I'm not about ready to invite myself to any...