Skip to main content

Talents

Matthew 25:14-30 (New King James Version)
"For the kingdom of heaven is like a man traveling to a far country, who called his own servants and delivered his goods to them. And to one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one, to each according to his own ability; and immediately he went on a journey. Then he who had received the five talents went and traded with them, and made another five talents. And likewise he who had received two gained two more also. But he who had received one went and dug in the ground, and hid his lord's money.
After a long time the lord of those servants came and settled accounts with them. So he who had received five talents came and brought five other talents, saying, 'Lord, you delivered to me five talents; look, I have gained five more talents besides them.' His lord said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.'
He also who had received two talents came and said, 'Lord, you delivered to me two talents; look, I have gained two more talents besides them.' His lord said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.'
Then he who had received the one talent came and said, 'Lord, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you have not sown, and gathering where you have not scattered seed. And I was afraid, and went and hid your talent in the ground. Look, there you have what is yours.' But his lord answered and said to him, 'You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed. So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest. Therefore take the talent from him, and give it to him who has ten talents. For to everyone who has, more will be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who does not have, even what he has will be taken away. And cast the unprofitable servant into the outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'

I have been given a talent...of writing poetry and prose. Whether is a big talent, or a little one, I am endeavoring to use it in such a way as to hear "Well done" from my Father in heaven when I cross over into the other side. It might not look like much...3 little non-profit blogs...but it's my best.

I had a friend tell me once, years ago when I first started blogging, that she thought I had better things to be doing and better things to concern me than blogging. Oh she of little faith! She had a point only in that I shouldn't be worrying over some random blogger I angered by an innocent beginners mistake. Granted, I should have been more careful in my comments, but since the man didn't really know me why should his judgment of my character matter...

Or should it? It was a painful lesson for me to learn. While this is an anonymous blog, it can still be an honest picture of who I really am...what kind of Christian I am...and therefore what kind of God I serve. It is not always a pretty picture (of me, since God is beautiful even when I am ugly!). But since this incident, I have tried to be more careful of my random comments when I'm surfing "Next Blog". I try not to censor myself, though I am conscious that the life I live is not always Godly, at least I am an honest Christian...in that I have trials and tribulations and sometimes I'm not very honest, trustworthy, or nice. But I'm trying.

And when it comes to blogging, I think my ex-friend failed to realize the potential. I can reach millions of people here, share my heart, Jesus, my poetry, etc. What a huge potential! I can make friends here, of all sorts of diverse people. It might not have a big return, but at least I'm not burying my talent or writing in the sand, nor is it drawing interest in the bank...although I think that's where it might have been for the past several years when I was experiencing writer's block. I learned as much in the silence as I did before when everything was flowing so smoothly!

So, whatever your talent...be it big or little, use it! Don't die with that passion trapped inside of you! Blog! Write! Sing! Paint! Whatever it is, do your best! Even if it is for a few, share it!

Comments

M. C. Pearson said…
Wonderful thoughts! I totally agree. :-)
Ciera said…
thanks Mimi!

Popular posts from this blog

A Situation

Ok. I need to think out loud here for a bit while I wait on email. I have a situation going on that could become tough. A bit of background: About 2 years ago, a single man started coming to my church and showed an interest in me. It lasted about a month and a half, with him giving me mixed signals all the time...since I have been praying for a husband for a while now, at the time, it seemed like my prayers were being answered despite the confusion. It all came down one night about midnight in his parking lot and I haven't talked to him since. He only stayed around for another 7-8 months, and those were very hard months. He lied to me and mislead me, often. Like it was second nature for him. It was made even more traumatic by a discovery of mine on a website shortly after he left the area. In September 2005, I had a blind date that was far from fruitful. My singleness and desire to be married is known to all in church, and so... To the present: Yes, another single man has walked in

Types of Friends

The other night, the friend that I watch tv and movies with was sharing something she had learned from a MOPS meeting. About the two different types of friends. Since that discussion, I've realized that there are at least 2 more types of friends and goofball that I am, I thought I'd share it all with you! Don't you feel lucky and special? :) 1. Mushroom Friends : These friends spring up over night and are in our lives just for a season. Kind of like the friends I made in school. The season is way over as I didn't even get Christmas cards from them this year [yes, I sent them cards]. 2. Oak Tree Friends : These friendships develop slowly, starting out small and laying down deep root systems. They last forever no matter how far apart the friends grow; time, distance, oceans and death cannot break the bond of friendship. They are the kind that years after being out of communication, if they heard you were in trouble {death in family, illness, etc...} they would drop stuff

My Happy Face

There is something wrong in this world when they steal the magnetic smiley face off the back of your car. Which someone has done. But, I only rolled my eyes heavenward and said, "Whatever!" Must be the neighborhood kids were bored or something.