Skip to main content

The Princess - PT 2

The flight down the side of the tower seemed to take forever. The Princess was unused to such activity and was constantly banging her knees and her elbows. The drop between the end of the bedsheet and the tree was greater than she'd thought, and she almost climbed back up.

But she didn't. She kicked herself away from the tower - she did that two more times before she let herself drop. It was only a couple of seconds, but the freefall felt wonderful to this sheltered Princess. Oh if she only had wings to fly, then none of this would have been a problem. Her arms snagged harshly against the branches and she knocked her knee again. No doubt she'd be wishing for bandaids by the time she got to the bottom of the tree.

This part of the flight went smoothly as she could remember tree climbing from the days before the Tower. At the bottom of the tree, fastidious creature that she was, she brushed the bark off her dress and wondered why she hadn't changed into pants before cllimbing out the window. Too late now.

She couldn't do anything about the few spots that were bleeding, but it wasn't too bad so she decided to let it go until she could find a creek or a well. Once she found water she would clean them.

Looking up, her heart sank. Before her lay nothing but trees. Gone were the mountains in the distance. Gone was the city skyline. She would have to go through the forest before anything else. And she had no idea how long it would take her. In a moment of doubt, she looked back up. But there was no going back - the space between the tree branches and the sheets was too great for going up.

Adjusting her dress one last time, the Princess squared her shoulders and marched off into the unknown.


more to come....

Comments

Jean-Luc Picard said…
Great writing, Ciera!

Look forward to Part 3.
Shelley said…
WOOO! I'm hooked now! Please do Part 3! It's like...when LOST comes to the end of the show and I could just sit there and watch the whole dang season in one night. Great writing!
Minerva said…
Really really enjoyed this...longing to use it with my students to show them how to manipulate a form...

Thanks Ciera!

Minerva
utenzi said…
I hope she's got comfortable shoes on.

Popular posts from this blog

A Situation

Ok. I need to think out loud here for a bit while I wait on email. I have a situation going on that could become tough. A bit of background: About 2 years ago, a single man started coming to my church and showed an interest in me. It lasted about a month and a half, with him giving me mixed signals all the time...since I have been praying for a husband for a while now, at the time, it seemed like my prayers were being answered despite the confusion. It all came down one night about midnight in his parking lot and I haven't talked to him since. He only stayed around for another 7-8 months, and those were very hard months. He lied to me and mislead me, often. Like it was second nature for him. It was made even more traumatic by a discovery of mine on a website shortly after he left the area. In September 2005, I had a blind date that was far from fruitful. My singleness and desire to be married is known to all in church, and so... To the present: Yes, another single man has walked in

Types of Friends

The other night, the friend that I watch tv and movies with was sharing something she had learned from a MOPS meeting. About the two different types of friends. Since that discussion, I've realized that there are at least 2 more types of friends and goofball that I am, I thought I'd share it all with you! Don't you feel lucky and special? :) 1. Mushroom Friends : These friends spring up over night and are in our lives just for a season. Kind of like the friends I made in school. The season is way over as I didn't even get Christmas cards from them this year [yes, I sent them cards]. 2. Oak Tree Friends : These friendships develop slowly, starting out small and laying down deep root systems. They last forever no matter how far apart the friends grow; time, distance, oceans and death cannot break the bond of friendship. They are the kind that years after being out of communication, if they heard you were in trouble {death in family, illness, etc...} they would drop stuff

My Happy Face

There is something wrong in this world when they steal the magnetic smiley face off the back of your car. Which someone has done. But, I only rolled my eyes heavenward and said, "Whatever!" Must be the neighborhood kids were bored or something.